Menu
Set high contrast
Home  >  Portfolio  >  Closed Sites  >  Porcupine

Porcupine

The Porcupine district includes 20 closed sites in and around Timmins, Ontario.

Quick Facts
Location Timmins, Ontario, Canada
Ownership 100%
Mines Closed 1961 through 2008
Status Design, rehabilitation or monitoring depending on the site

When Goldcorp took over the Porcupine mine in 2002, it inherited dozens of historic underground and open pit mine properties spread over more than 30,000 hectares. Many of the sites are within the Timmins' city limits.

Mine
start date
Mine
close date
Current status
Aunor/Delnite 1934 1988 Detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring
Coniaurum/Goldale 1911 1961 Monitoring
Dome/Paymaster 1910 operating Mining, milling, detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring
Hallnor/Broulan 1938 1983 Detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring
Hollinger mine 1910 operating Operation, detailed design, progressive rehabilitation
Hollinger tailings management area 1910 1988 Monitoring
McIntyre mine and tailings management area 1912 1989 Detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring
Naybob 1932 1964 Detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring
Nighthawk/Goldhawk 1907 1999 Detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring
Owl Creek 1981 1989 Detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring
Hoyle/Pamour 1936 2008 Ore stockpiling, detailed design, rehabilitation, monitoring

Rehabilitation of these sites is at various stages, but in every case, the old infrastructure is being demolished and properties are being reclaimed so the land can be used productively by the local communities.

Goldcorp’s work on the Hollinger mine is a showcase for site monitoring and communication. A publicly available website displays data from a network of noise, vibration, dust and weather monitors that are located around the Hollinger property, helping the company manage its impact on the local community. Read more about Hollinger.

In 2011, Goldcorp won the Tom Peters Memorial Mine Reclamation Award for its work on the lands affected by the Coniaurum mine. Restoration work stabilized the site, stopped suspended solids from the tailings area entering the Porcupine River and promoted other uses of the property. The use of biosolids as a cover and wild grasses promoted a self-sustaining environment, which encouraged the growth of other natural grass, shrub and tree species. This in turn attracted wildlife, including several black bears. Honey bees were introduced to promote additional pollination and plant development, which has increased the number of bee colonies and spawned a local honey industry.

Since 2008, Porcupine has hosted educational tours of the reclaimed sites and working with the local Aboriginal community on the application of traditional knowledge and practices to modern rehabilitation techniques.

Porcupine
Closed Sites Contact

e: info@goldcorp.com

4315 Gold Mine Road
South Porcupine, Ontario
P0N 1H0