Developing effective engagement processes.
Goldcorp policy is to develop effective engagement processes at all our operations, based on international best practices. Among the policy’s objectives:
- to enhance engagement and consultation with communities, government agencies, NGOs, and other interested stakeholders
- to build trusting, communicative relationships
- to receive feedback for continuous improvement of the site’s Corporate Social Responsibility Plan
Case Study: Delivering Educational Assistance to the Los Filos communities, Mexico
To help understand the needs and priorities of the Carrizalillo, Mezcala and Mazapa communities near the Los Filos operation in Southern Mexico, a professional rural assessment was performed. Its findings contributed to a sustainable development strategy for each of the communities. Following its recommendations, we have made significant investments in community infrastructure such as roads, telecommunications, power supply, water supply and housing.
The stakeholder engagement and consultation process also revealed many of the obstacles that were affecting the education of local residents. As a direct result, the Los Filos operation went beyond simply providing or improving educational facilities. Their contributions to date have included:
- scholarship programs for local students
- the construction of a Community Computer Center, including computer equipment and Internet access
- the construction of a kindergarten classroom
- the construction of a toilet block for the local primary school